Don’t stress! Plan ahead. Moving into a new apartment does not have to be a nightmare experience. Perhaps one of the most important things to keep in mind when moving is to put together a plan before the move begins. Since knowing where to start can sometimes be overwhelming, we recommend developing a moving checklist with a time line to help stay on track through the moving process. Once you have your moving checklist in place, everything will seem more manageable and you will feel better prepared to deal with anything that may come up.
Apartment Moving Tips:
- Hire or Recruit Help: Extra help can be invaluable and there are lots of different options to fit all kinds of budgets. Self-service moves involve you packing and loading your belongings into boxes or a secure container and the moving service then transporting everything to your new address. With a full-service move, the moving company loads the moving truck, drives your belongings to your new address and unloads the truck in your new place. Some companies will even pack your belongings for you! Read our blog post on how to choose a moving company, for more on what you need to know. If you cannot afford any for-pay options, consider recruiting your friends and spring for pizza when the move is over!
- Keep an Eye on Valuables: Forgetting where you packed something is a common hassle when moving. Make sure that items that are hard to replace like medications, insurance policies, car titles and the moving services contract are packed in a box that you move yourself or ship ahead of time with a service that requires a delivery signature.
- Move Only What You Really Need: It is difficult to think about spring cleaning while you are in the midst of a move, but packing will unearth all of those items that you haven’t used in months or years. Make sure to have plenty of trash bags on hand as you pack to get rid of useless junk, half-used products and worn through clothing. Consider donating unneeded items that are in decent shape to your local charity or help fund your moving expenses by selling them online.
- Pack Your Favorite Items Last: Creature comforts can be powerful stress relievers. Your current bedside reading, morning coffee mug or favorite DVDs can help you feel sane in the midst of chaos. If you have children, ask them to pick one or two of their favorite things to keep with them during the move as well.
- Home Is Where the Heart Is: Although all the packing, moving and cleaning can feel a bit overwhelming while it is happening, try to envision yourself relaxing on your sofa or having a housewarming party to show off your new home to your friends. It’s also important to remember how you’ll benefit from the reason you’re moving in the first place!
For more moving advice and resources, visit the Rent.com Moving Center. The Moving Center will help keep you organized and on track—before, during and after your move.